A Registered Vascular Technologist or RVT certification is a credential demonstrating a specialization in performing vascular ultrasound examinations. This certification is granted by the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS). The ARDMS has very specific requirements and prerequisites for RVT credentialing.
To become a Registered Vascular Technologist certified by the ARDMS, an applicant must complete the following:
- Sonography Principles and Instrumentation Examination
- Completion of a college-level physics course or continuing medical education in physics
- Completion of a two-year health education program
- 12 months of full-time clinical ultrasound or vascular experience
The ARDMS holds these high standards to ensure ultrasound examination quality for patients. Registered Vascular Technologists perform vascular ultrasounds, which differentiates them from Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (RDMS). Those with an RDMS credential can have specialties such as pediatric sonography or obstetrics and gynecology.
Registered Vascular Technologists specialize in vascular ultrasound examinations. Vascular ultrasound is a diagnostic tool that can help identify vascular disease, or disease that affects the circulatory system. Vascular ultrasound can be critical in diagnosing potentially fatal diseases before they get worse. For this reason, certain people who are deemed at risk may be recommended to undergo more regular screenings.
A vascular ultrasound exam performed by a Registered Vascular Technologist is a fast and painless procedure. The technologist will use a handheld device called a transducer against the skin to compress different areas of the vascular system. The transducer uses soundwaves to produce images of what is going on inside the body. A vascular ultrasound examination focuses on imaging the veins, arteries, and surrounding tissue.
- Registered Vascular Technologist (RVT). American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography. https://www.ardms.org/get-certified/rvt/
- ARDMS General Prerequisites. American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography. https://www.ardms.org/wp-content/uploads/pdf/ARDMS-General-Prerequisites.pdf